Dolphin Update June 20, 2021
Good Evening Dolphins!
1) Junior Dolphins begins tomorrow 10:45-11:15am. Also, junior dolphins normally participate in the home meets, but we will postpone this interaction until the last two meets of the season on July 13 and 20. If your child is a junior dolphin, you should have received an email around 4:30PM today with details.
DUE TO TUESDAY WEATHER FORECAST (& OTHER END OF WEEK CONFLICTS) WE ARE GOING TO COMPLETE OUR HALF OF THE VIRTUAL MEET ON MONDAY JUNE 21 FROM 7-9PM. PLEASE SIGN OUT OF THE MEET OR SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER FOR MONDAY (it still says Tuesday):
ALSO - ALL SWIMMERS MUST BE REGISTERED ON SWIMMINGLY> This is a new step for this year. The link was sent out via remind at 6:30PM and via email.
2) Meet Sign Outs: as always, please make sure you sign your swimmers out of the meet if you are unable to attend this week. Please do so by 5PM on Monday via the sign out sheet on the bulletin board. WE ASSUME EVERYONE WILL ATTEND UNLESS YOU SIGN OUT. All signouts are digital this year.
3) Tuesday Meet Sign Ups: Parents must volunteer for at least 3 out of 5 meets (and maybe more this season given our small size). Also, with virtual meets we need more people to fill the roles that the other team would normally assume.
NOTE: as the other team is not present in person, we need more of our volunteers to ensure proper oversight. We will likely only run 3 lanes at a time as a result. We plan to have next week in person at Broadway, provided all goes well this week.
4) The deadline for the senior VSL scholarship must be postmarked by July 15. All seniors should make sure they complete this action by that date if they want to be considered for this scholarship.
5) Champs: the VSL has voted to attempt champs at JMU on July 31. If you have an opinion about that (for or against) please share with me. Also, begin thinking about heat sheet ads for champs. These are a fundraiser for our team, and it is also the team job for champs this year.
6) Policy for Meet participation: all swimmers must be able to complete their event in less than 90 seconds in order to participate in the meet.
Lastly, it is in the best interest of the Dolphins to develop a leadership team that shares the responsibility and work required to manage this team. I am looking for people to train in the following jobs: registration; meet set up; volunteer coordinator; treasurer; etc.... I say it often: "Many hands make light work." If only one person knows how to be the clerk, or computer, or starter - then it is always on the shoulders of one person to be at every meet. When we have 3+ parents to share in the role, everyone carries less. This is also especially true for stroke and turn. We cannot rely on the same 4 people at every meet, through every summer. PLEASE DO NO MAKE ME HUNT VOLUNTEERS DOWN. Please instead share with me what jobs you are willing to take on, no matter whether how limited a contribution you feel you can make. If there are 7 parents willing to train on a job for one meet, or take on a small part of each season, then each person only needs to play a small part.